A platform to create awareness about innovative practices and fostering multi-disciplinary research through amalgamation of academia and industry
Online - Geosynthetics Course Year 2021
iGrip presents the latest edition of online Geosynthetics course organized during 6th Jan 2021 to 22nd April 2021. Geosynthetics continue to play an ever increasing role in Geotechnical practices, structural design and developmental research around the world. The presented lecture series attempts to provide a holistic step by step approach towards learning of Geosynthetics basics and building concepts through examples, case studies and experimental studies. It covers a wide range of topics pertaining to Geosynthetics including products, material testing, applications, design, case studies, etc. The course is coordinated by Prof. G. V. Rao. The instructors of the course include:
- Prof. G.V. Rao: Formerly Prof & Head, Dept of Civil Engineering, IIT Delhi. Currently, Visiting Professor, IIT Gandhinagar and foremost expert in the field
- Dr. Jimmy Thomas: Geosynthetics Consultant and alumnus of IIT Kanpur
- Dr. M. Venkataraman: President, Indian Chapter of International Geosynthetics Society
- Dr. Anil Dixit: Director, Landmark Testing Laboratory, Jaipur and alumnus of IIT Delhi
- Mr. Saurabh Vyas: Head, Technical Services, Techfab India Pvt Ltd
- Mr. Atanu Adhikari: Vice President, Reinforced Earth India Pvt Ltd
The expertise areas of the resource persons as mentioned above strike a perfect blend of academics, laboratory experimentation and on-field execution expertise. It provides first-hand insights and engaging experiences on a variety of areas including topics such as RS wall design with Coherent Gravity Methods, Design of Pavements and Laboratory Testing strictly adhering to various available standards and codes. The course tends to cater the requirements and challenges faced by researchers and its actual application in the field. Above mentioned collection, makes this series of lectures immensely useful for students, professionals and academicians alike. There are 42 lectures in this course spread around in 7 different units and 2 short courses.
|UNIT 1 – Geosynthetics – An Overview|
|Unit-1.2||Types and Manufacturing Methods||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-1.3||Functions & Engineering Properties arising from Manufacture||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-1.5||Product range in India||Saurabh Vyas|
|UNIT 2 – Geotextiles|
|Unit-2||Geotextiles – Testing – Fundamentals||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.1||Geotextiles – Testing and Evaluation||Anil Dixit & G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.2.1||Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil Structures – Fundamentals||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.2.2||Design of Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil Structures – B.S.Method||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.2.3||Long Term Design Strength (LTDS) of Geosynthetic Reinforcement||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.2.4||Geotextiles – Basal Reinforcement||G.V.Rao|
|Unit-2.2.5||Case Histories – Basal Reinforcement||G.V.Rao|
|UNIT 3 – Geogrids|
|Unit-3.1||Geogrid : Testing and Evaluation||Anil Dixit|
|Unit-3.1.1||Geogrid Reinforced Soil Structures||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.1.2||Design of Reinforced Soil Walls||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.1.3||Design of Reinforced Soil Walls – Internal Stability||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.1.4||Reinforced Soil Walls – LRFD Design Example||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.1.5||Reinforced Soil Walls – Facing, Connection, Drainage, Detailing||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.2||Reinforced Soil Slopes||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-3.3||Case Studies: Reinforced Soil Walls||G.V.Rao|
|UNIT 4 – Metallic Reinforcement in Reinforced Soil Structures|
|Unit-4.1||Metallic Gabion Walls||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-4.2||Reinforced Soil Structures with Gabion Facia||Jimmy Thomas|
|Unit-4.3||Reinforced Earth Wall Design – Steel Reinforcement||Atanu Adhikari|
|Unit-4.4||Extensible versus In-extensible Reinforcement||Jimmy Thomas|
|UNIT 5 – Natural Fibre Goetextiles|
|Unit-5||Natural Fibres Geotextiles||G.V.Rao|
|UNIT 6 – Geomembranes|
|Unit-6||Engineering Landfills with Geosynthetics||M Venkataraman|
|UNIT 7 – Ground Improvement|
|Unit-7.1||Soil Treatment – A review of Indian Experiences||G.V.Rao|
|Short Course I – Principles of Modern Pavement Engineering – An Overview|
|SC-I-01||Pavement Engineering – Introduction||G.V.Rao|
|SC-I-02||Soil Subgrade Characterization for Pavements||G.V.Rao|
|SC-I-03||Bituminous Materials and Tests on Road Bitumen and Tar||G.V.Rao|
|SC-I-04||Design of Flexible Pavements – IRC 37||Kolli Mohan Krishna|
|SC-I-05||Geosynthetics in Unpaved Road Pavements||G.V.Rao|
|SC-I-06||Reinforced Flexible Pavement – Design and Case Studies||G.V.Rao|
|SC-I-07||Design of Reinforced Flexible Pavement IRC-37, IRC-SP59||Kolli Mohan Krishna|
|Short Course II – Coastal and River Bank Stabilization with Geosynthetics|
|SC-II-01||Coastal and River Bank Stabilization with Geosynthetics – Part I||M Venkataraman|
|SC-II-02||Coastal and River Bank Stabilization with Geosynthetics – Part II||M Venkataraman|
|SC-II-03||Case Studies: Ground Improvement and River Bank Protection||Saurabh Vyas|
- 10 August, 2020: Webinar on "Sustainable hard and soft measures for coastal protection"
- 20 July, 2020: Webinar on "Indigenous solutions opportunities for High Speed Railway applications"
- 06 July, 2020: Webinar on "Road ahead for Jute Geotextiles (JGT) and its blends with other Natural Fibres"
- 22 June, 2020: Webinar on "Regional Rapid Transit System in National Capital Region (NCR)"
- 08 June, 2020: Webinar on "Development of Geosynthetics Reinforced-soil Structure for Japanese high-speed bullet train - Shinkansen"
- 26 May, 2020: Webinar on "Challenges in the Geotechnical Investigations of Hydroelectric Projects"
- 11 May, 2020: Webinar on "Learning from Civil Engineering in the Harappan Civilization"
- 04 May, 2020: Webinar on "Innovative Geosynthetic Applications in Hydraulic Structures"
- 27 April, 2020: Webinar on "Innovative Flexible Two-Stage Facing MSE Wall Solution to Address Soft Ground and Land Subsidence Geohazards"